Forum home The potting shed

Hot composting

13»

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Minos, I think that it is brilliant that you are not putting the cat litter into landfill. Congratulationsimage

• We dug the hole this afternoon and also built another compost pile out of the stuff we had saved. My six year old son gladly weed on it for me lol! Chickens were very helpful in digging as well.

I hate stuff going to landfillimage
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

As part of the Master Composter course I did provided by Norfolk Council and Garden Organic, we were taken to a landfill site. It really felt like the place that God forgot. All the local trees were festooned with plastic bags. The areas that had been 'capped off' had to have pipes coming out of the top to release Methane and pipes coming out of the base to release Leachate. The guys working there said that if their clothes were contaminated with even the smallest amount of this Leachate, no amount of washing would get rid of the smell; you simply had to bin the clothes.

The EU banned the creation of new landfills some years ago, and quite rightly! Landfill sites cannot be used for housing, farming or indeed anything else as the toxic fumes preclude any further use for 100's of years. We are simply poisoning the land (our country) with landfill.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863

Palaisglide, I keep an old watering can for my " recycling" Mercifully out of sight of everyone.

Devon.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Hostafan, something with a nice tight cap will stop the smell and keep the flies out, saying that with a watering can you will not need the funnel-- to stop the splashes of course.

Frank.

• Artjak -my Ex-husband used to inspect them as part of his job and the size of them and how fast they grow is horrific. I don't know anyone that cleans their house by shoving the dirt in the corner and don't think we should do the same with the land.