Forum home Problem solving

Quick growing climbing rose

I want to buy a climbing rose zephrin druin. I want it to grow as quickly as possible. Should I choose the largest one I can find and apart from adding bonemeal at the time of planting is there anything else I can do to make it grow quickly please

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,154

Plants grow most quickly when the balance of warmth, light and water is at the optimum level. However, making a plant grow quickly can have drawbacks. The growth will be lush and soft and more likely to be attacked by pests and diseases. Slower growth is tougher and stronger.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I have this rose, it smells lovely, doesn't have thorns, but gets a lot of black spot

• I am grateful for your help but I now realise that the climbing rose might take at least 2 years to attain a reasonable height of say 6ft 6"'and I width of say 5 ft I want to get if possible a climber which will attain this height in its first year,.. the reason for this is that people can very easily look over my fence and see into the private part of my garden particularly when I do not want them to so in the summer months.(winter doesn't matter) I want a climber which is easily manageable by pruning and cut to the size I want at anytime, It can be a perennial climber or a climbing shrub which can be cut down to the base in the winter. Sorry I am a pain (believe it or not I am still married)