Forum home Fruit & veg

Potato harvest

I've been a bit worse for wear lately but a couple of months ago, can't be more than 10 weeks ago, I planted a couple of potato tubers hoping for some spuds for Christmas. Couple of weeks ago we had loads of wind and rain and the plants took a battering. Practically ruined really so I cut them off a week ago and went out today to empty the containers. Not expecting any potatoes at all. Just empty them onto the veg patch ready for next year. First I've been well enough to tidy things up a bit.

surprisingly, I got a decent load of very nice potatoes.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,870

Those look great!  Well done image  I bet that's cheered you up.

Sorry you've been poorly image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Good for you.........I wouldn't sniff at those potatoes........hope you are feeling betterimage

• Yes, it was a great surprise. Couldn't believe my eyes. A very welcome sight. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

isn't nature wonderful?

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

I've tried to get Autumn seed spuds, but I think I've missed the boat, can't find any. Can I just plant some of those I've harvested this autumn.

Devon.
  • seed potatoes hard to get late in year frustratingly. Were some on eBay a couple months ago. I should think your harvested ones should be fine but only if they are ready to shoot - I don't know what influences that but would like to know.