Forum home Plants

hyacinths bulbs

Crazy question but is there any difference between bulbs grown in compost and those bought to grow in a glass

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

No, but if you buy the ones described as 'Prepared' they will grow and flower quite quickly, whereas the unprepared ones will wait until mid spring to flower. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Some hyacinths have been 'prepared' to  flower early indoors. It doesn't matter what you grow them in.

They're usually clearly marked and cost more.

• But at least they should give a second season if planted out in the garden after flowering......at least mine didimage

The blooms tend to become smaller over the years. I like them more thenimage

• Thanks, only I bought some last year that came with compost but have found some vases so thought it might be easier to just use them this year.

If they're last year's bulbs I'd put them in the garden and buy some prepared ones for the vases.

I think the prepared ones have been chilled so they think they've had winter therefore it must be spring and time to grow.

Last year's bulbs are still waiting for winter before they start growing. They won't get that indoors.

Does that make sense? If not blame the wineimage

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I agree with nut. After a couple of years the flower spikes are smaller, but this is great as they dont tend to fall over and rot so quickly.

• I wonder if it depends where they are grown?  I have clumps which seem to multiply each year and the flowers  continue to be big - but I do feed with tomato fertiliser as the flowers are dying down, and heap a bit of compost over them if I remember.  They are a magnet for slugs and snails as they die down too so I do a regular "collect and dispose".  One comment about growing in glasses - they seem to get top heavy and tumble out if you are not careful!