Forum home Talkback

Box Problems

Hi there, we moved house last October, only about 2 miles, bringing with us 2 large box plants which we dug up and put in pots. After a month we planted them out, next to a box of a similar size that was already there. All 3 were fine through the winter and into early Spring, nice and green and healthy looking. However as soon as the growing season really got going, first our box, then the 'resident' one, turned yellow/brown and died. We watered them, but no luck. They were planted about a metre and a half from a large conifer-type tree, but the one already there  was obviously coping with the soil condition. What went wrong? The area is a prominent one next to our gate and we would like to plant again (not necessarily box) but don't want to lose more plants.

Thanks for any help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574

Hi Sue image

Put 'what does box blight look like?' into Google and see if any of the images look familiar.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi there, not sure if it was blight. The whole bush went yellow, then died. It wasn't really patchy and it happened really fast.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You might have lost too much root when you dug them up, probably should have pruned them back hard so that the roots didn't have so much top growth to try and support.

• Ah-that could be it. We did not prune at all. Thanks for suggestion.