Forum home Problem solving

Too big ideas?

Think this is the right place to post this! Garden novice here! We have a garden around 16ft wide 70ft long but it's too small for all the things I want to do! Around half of the garden is paved - was so when we moved in - and houses a hobby house come potting shed and a greenhouse. There is also a patio with a sitting area. So the main 'garden' part is more like 30ft! We have a dog and young child so we need and want some lawn. This year we have grown mainly flowers but next year we want to grow veg. But the dilemma is we would like to keep chickens, we would also like to incorporate a small pond as well as keeping some wildlife encouraging plants and we also want to grow veg. Is there anyway this could be achieved without everything looking crammed? Or is this a case of wanting too much in too smaller space? Thanks, B

• Hello image I'm the same too, I want chicken etc but decided we don't have enough space. We have a small pond which used to be a roof box that had a broken hinge so we turned the roof box upside down and it's now a natural pond and has been doing fab for a few years, we will now make a bigger natural pond, we have 3 kids so have fenced the pond in. We will do veg in pallets and raised beds.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,672

I had a pond when my girls were young. It's really a question of vigilance and education but a simple fence till they're older is a good backup, or a grill placed on top if the pond isn't too big. You can leave a gap at a shallow entry/exit point for wildlife to get in and out. I moved again last year and I have put in a tiny pond - any pond benefits wildlife so if you can manage it, you'll find it worthwhile image

I'd agree with philippa - trying to cram too much in never really works but children don't stay small for long and you can adapt the garden as time goes by if you stay in that house. Work out what the most important things to you are, measure up the plot to scale, draw it up - doesn't have to be fancy -  and then play about with ideas over the winter. If you want to keep the existing paving etc draw them accurately on the plan first.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sounds like your trying to fit to much in I'd leave the pond until your girls bigger my little girl gives us a heart attack when she goes to granny's with the pond no matter what we do.

Chickens sound like fun but they need to much space and it's not nice to see them when the fox gets in.

It migh be worth shrinking the patio but that's alot of hard work and can cost abit if you replace the slabs.

What kind of veggies are you thinking of growing.
  • It's just bad luck I supose
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,559

Small can be beautiful. Keep it simple and have a strong unified framework. Small raised beds for veggies and herbs - limit what you grow in overall numbers and in the varieties you choose (no point wasting garden space growing what is cheaply available in the shops - select things that are expensive or hard to find at the greengrocers, and which double up as ornamentals).

There were some lovely and very ornamental cut-and-come-again varieties of Kale on Beechgrove garden this week, for example.

Use a similar style of 'raised bed' around your little pond to minimise any risks. Ponds can be extremely educational for children.

• Sounds like your trying to fit to much in I'd leave the pond until your girls bigger my little girl gives us a heart attack when she goes to granny's with the pond no matter what we do.

Chickens sound like fun but they need to much space and it's not nice to see them when the fox gets in.

It migh be worth shrinking the patio but that's alot of hard work and can cost abit if you replace the slabs.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Why not have your raised veg beds on your patio if it's in full sun.  You can have a small pond and put some temporary fencing round with a small opening at one end at the bottom for larger things like hedgehogs to get a drink like, fairygirl says.  We have 2.5 year old boy and another on the way.  We just hammered 4 posts into the ground and wired some plastic mesh round them.  The birds can pop in and out because it's about 2 inch squares.  You're not going to leave your young kids unsupervised in the garden anyway so it doesn't need to be fort knox.  We grew up with a massive koi pond in the  garden and all survived!  

• It depends how much money you want to spend and are you doing the work or paying somone to do it.