Bay tree - leaf damage - please help identify

I have 2 bay trees grown in pots outside my front door - they have been grown in the same pots/compost for 3 years now and have been very happy until now.  Today I have noticed that some of the leaves are damaged.  I have attached some pictures:

I have cut off any of the leaves like this and hope for the best, but does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,342

It happens. I think it might begin with a small caterpillar or leaf miner attacking the leaf and then the affected bit dies off. Nothing to worry about. You can still use the remaining bits of leaf.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,683

If ithey've not been re potted for three years can I suggest that you re-pot them next spring.  A bigger pot and fresh compost (I use John Innes No 3 loam based for mine, with some added horticultural grit).  They get very pot-bound and then the leaves begin to look a bit poor and susceptible to attack from all sorts!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,761

Same happens on random leaves with mine. As pf says it's caused by a little caterpillar type thing inside. There's often a bit of web to pull the leaf closed around it. When the caterpillar clears-off that bit of the leaf dies back. Nothing to worry about, and i've never had more than just a few leaves affected.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you all. I would hate to lose them as they bring me so much joy and my cooking would suffer. You have put my mind to rest.