Help with identification

Does anyone know what these are that we have found growing in our garden?  They look like apples and when sliced they have a core and pips too...

Many thanks image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'm useless at ID'ing things but also look like apples to me, even branch looks like apple. Crab apples ? Bet I'm wrong so don't eat them.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,722

They look like the fruit of the Japanese quince aka Chaenomoles.  Did it have flowers like this early last spring? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles There are different colours.

Although they're not the Cydonia quince which is traditionally used for cooking, the Chaenomoles can also be used.  I use them when pot-roasting a pheasant or guinea fowl, and you can also make quince jelly and use them in other recipes - there are lots online.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,090

I think chaenomelesimage 

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I think its a Quince, wee look at the leaves makes me think not an apple

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Thank you so much for such a speedy and informed reply! Yes it did have those exact flowers!  So pleased that we can use them and now that I know what they are I'll have a look online for some recipes.

So grateful to you image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,722

They're hard and tough, even when ripe - I find they're usually best used to add a delicious tart flavour to apple and pear recipes, rather than eating the flesh.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I have these too. Were I not too late I would have agreed re Jap quince image Good to see I could make jelly with them as I wasn't sure image Not how many more I have left as was doing some lopping of tree yest image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,388

Bit of a late posting I know but -

if you're making jelly with quinces there is no need to go to the bother (& it IS a bother because they are soooo hard) of peeling & coring them. Just wash & chop them up before cooking. All the pips and skin etc goes into the muslin / jelly bag for straining overnight. Crab apple jelly is really scrummy with all sorts of meats (hot & cold) & cheeses & a spoonful added to gravy / casseroles and even apple pie makes them taste great. Usually well received as a Ch*******s stocking filler too. image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down