Forum home Problem solving

Azalea leaves turning brown

Hey is it normal for some of the leaves on my azalea which is in a container to go brown / yellow at this time of year? Cheers image x

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,643

Hi as007,hers some info  The primary difference between evergreen and deciduous azaleas is that decidous azaleas lose their leaves in the fall, while evergreen azaleas retain all or most of their foliage year round. Which one have you got, mines bare now but a very healthy shiny red little tree,this Royal H Soc is a good idea to see

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=azalea 

good luck Mr Bond

• as007as007 Posts: 94
    Mines an evergreen
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It isn't unusual to lose leaves from any azalea at this time of year. I see it all the time in different gardens at this time of year. As long as it's fed and watered new growth will come back. You don't say if it's in a pot or in the ground. Potted azalea's tend to drop leaves when under watered and under fed. A mulch is always a good idea at this time of year, use ericaceous compost. The buds for next years flowers will already be there, so feeding will help a little. 

• as007as007 Posts: 94
    It's in a pot.

What and when do I feed it?
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Feed with an azalea/rhododendron food, you can get it from GC's, shops and online. Change the top 2 inches of compost and add fresh ericaceous compost, then water it in. Be careful when changing the compost as azalea's are fairly shallow rooted. You can break some roots, but breaking too many will stress the plant. You should see the benefit next spring.