bird feeders

2»

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Sadly I have never found that feeding the squirrels separately helps at all - they just eat their food and then start on everyone elses!!   However I am hopeful that we will have fewer of them this winter, as my neighbour has removed three huge fir type trees from our mutual boundary, where I knew they had their drey - maybe they will go elsewhere?  As for the pigeons, well, I just hate pigeons and can find no exuse for them at all.  I will look closely at theose feeders and see what I can do to keep the furry rats off them - thank you all. 

• @yes pigeons.. we have wood pigeons and we are fattening them up for when times are a bit tough for Sunday roast..image

I am thinking you have grey squirrels over there.. here we only have red and they are not such a problem perhaps.. very shy creatures.. we are not allowed to do anything to hurt them or deter them.  I believe that greys are counted as vermin and cann be killed if a pest.. would have to check on that. We had a scare here otehr year when someone reported seeing a grey one in the woods.. a fullscale hunt was set out but nothing found.

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

Sorry but have to butt in and ask all to....

TAKE THE GREEN NETS OFF OF FAT BALLS PLEASE 

The reason is that the birds can get there claws and/or beaks tangled in the mesh and die a very long and agonising death! Apologies that does sound harsh but it is a known problem which the RSPB have campaigned about for quite some time. Why the manufactures of fat balls insist on sticking them in nets is beyond me, but in my book the birds welfare has to come first....

Thanks for reading

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

• Could not agree more, for goodness sake take those darnation nets off the fat balls. They should not be there in the first place. When one thinks of all the song birds that have been left dangling, till their death, makes one cry.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Higgy, I feel as if I've been very dim now. Normally I'm pretty sensible about such things but, having never heard of any problems I just didn't realise. Glad you mentioned it, thanks.

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

Hi FloBear,

You haven't been "dim" at all, I didn't know about it until I read an article about it a couple of years ago. I also use the RSPB Community forum site which is also very good as they have lots about all sorts of garden wildlife and a reasonable section about gardening. It is also a friendly site so worth a visit if you haven't been on there before?

I just don't get the mentality of fat ball producers when the danger has now been highlighted to them? With all these things making a profit comes first I presume!?

So don't fret about it just pass the message on and hopefully we can all help prevent a few more unnecessary casualties!....

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Appreciate your words, Higgy. I will definitely pass the message on. Don't know if I dare join another forum as I spend too much time here already !!

Flo x

• Bird feeders are product placed outside to supply bird food. There are different type of feeders available in the market. Choose according to your need because it depends on the size. In my opinion always choose a feeder that's easy to keep clean.

bird feeders