Forum home Talkback

1930s

Hello, I'm new here. I've been renovating the garden of my 1930s house and would love to plant a garden that suits the period. Unfortunately most of the gardens of Art Deco/Modernist houses seem to have later gardens and I can't find any pictures from the right time.

can anyone recommend either sources of information or plants that would fit the scheme?

thank you

• xx Posts: 100
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Hello, could we see a photo of the house; is it really hard edged Art Deco or more suburban (which would possibly mean standard roses and hollyhocks).image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

If you want British suburban 30s style it will be rather different from Aert Deco UAS stuff or high end design in the the UK.   I rtaher think it was hard landcaping, square lawsn, narrow beds, shrubs and annual bedding such as alyssum and lobelia maybe with some pelargoniums and standard roses with bare soil in between .   Definitely not cottagey.

You could contact these people - http://www.gardenhistorysociety.org 

Have a read of this too - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1247156/How-Britain-built-Arcadia-The-growth-suburbs-Thirties-brought-better-life-millions.html

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks, 

it's a bit like this... http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34691322#OBAaEFaGIiZuh7Se.97

There is no lawn, I'm allergic to grass, and I was thinking architectural plants... Palms and bananas seem common but I think I should aim for something more hardy.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

That is quite art deco. A banana will survive if you are quite far south, there is one in Shepherds Bush, West London that thrives. There are palms that will tolerate British weather, it is just a case of researching them. Paving stones, gravel and dare I say it fake grass?image There are some amazingly convincing types around. Big stylish pots with large architectural plants.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

Trachycarpus fortunei is the one which is hardy in Britain - that would give you a tropical sort of look. That era benefited from all the plant hunting and technological advances of the previous century so exotics were very fashionable.  Phormiums would work too if you want an architectural look to go with the building. Fatsia japonica if you want something with big  foliage. You could  create something very stylish if you use the right plants. A bit of symmetry and some more floral stuff for the spring and summer image

I agree with art about the fake grass. It will help with the look and is definitely better than paving big areas. Some people are snobbish about using it but the new stuff is very good.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,172

There are different ways of achieving the "style" that you want.  I think the archetypical 1930s garden would have been sparse in its planting, and perhaps more regimented than today's gardens.

We had a poster on here in June - November 2012 called LowiePete who had created a fantastic garden, using the Art Deco stained glass in his front door as inspiration (think off-centre sunburst, if you can, and then think how to create the design).

I've looked back at this (I posted to compliment him on it at the time) but can't access the actual photos.  And I don't know how to do the link.  But perhaps others can help?

• I love Fatsias! Definitely getting a couple of those. There are hebes and a hellebore in one border, some clematis and honeysuckle and buddleias which are rather invasive. 

I'm not far from Heathrow so maybe could find a palm or similar that would be happy, might ask what the local garden centres have had success with. I want some tall things to screen off my neighbour but think bamboo would be too risky.

There is a HUGE amount of concrete already, 1970s crazy paving and flat concrete sections. The pond is edged with crazy paving too, which I hate, but I just found a newt so feeling happy.

Planning a little bit of fruit too so there is an old gooseberry and some strawberries here already.

I am planning a sunburst in front of the shed - as yet unbuilt. Can't find a decent deco-ish shed without going bespoke.

• Feeling a bit pleased with myself today. There's a long way to go though.

• Thank you. I can't quite believe it at the moment.