Forum home The potting shed

why do bananas spell?

We get free fruit at work and I have noticed the bananas have a funny smell. I have never noticed it before. I know some people can smell, I thought they were joking

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,532

Bananas smell of bananas.

Whether they can spell or not is a matter of conjecture image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• They sink Dove! I mean really pong!image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,484

I think it's those wandering Brazilian spiders that are doing the spelling for the bananas. Like in Charlotte's Web.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • As Terry Practhett says in his Discworld books, there are some words that just wont stop formingimage Anyway back to the original question, 'Why do Bana... this fruit stink!'image

• Hate the smell of banana's so much so that in my early 20's if I caught a wiff of one then it'll be image

I've now got a stronger stomach....... just image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

One of the reasons I only like pretty green bananas - and please don't peel one in the car …...

• I love bananas, one of my favourite fruits.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Bananas give off ethylene gas which is why we use them to ripen over fruits and why they shouldn't be kept near cut flowers

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Dont know why they should smell horrid. Chop the skins up and put them round your rose bushes, its good for them.