Forum home The potting shed

Fat balls in plastic NO

13»

• Same here Busy but I've used the "feeder" as described for the past couple of years.  As you say, better safe than sorryimage

• jwm70 said:

I always buy fat balls in larger size tubs without the nets on them. Find these good value and well recieved by the birds in cold weather.  There are lots of different holder to put them in, ranging from about £1  to some exotic ones around the £30 mark!!! way out of my league but pretty to look at.....don't think the birds mind what you use. 

But what to do with the empty fat ball buckets?  My recycle won't accept them for recycling and there are only so many that you can find uses for. I hate putting them in landfills. Recycling symbol says no.5.  Obviously too difficult for our recyclers.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,534
    I've had about 10 of the buckets from my dad. I keep all my bird food in them as well as other bulk things. They stack really nicely in a corner and are really durable as a small bucket. He doesn't get many of them but they're hot property in our family. I had to give up a couple to my nephews last summer so they could use them for crab fishing at the seaside.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,845
    I too keep loose bird food in them, decant packs of dry tomato fertiliser into them, mix paint in them...  I've even used them as temporary pots when I couldn't find the right size for plants that needed potting on for a while before being planted out.  Easy enough to drill holes in the base and a handy carrying handle too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,174
    Another one who can find various uses for them including storing vermiculite in the greenhouse . 
    We are lucky in that "number 5 " plastic is collected here, but l don't think l have ever put one out for recycling.