Forum home Talkback

moving

please can anyone advise when is this the best time and how to transplant miniature roses from their present site in the garden to an adjacent site.  Thanks..

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It's best done when they are dormant from November to April. However if you take a big enough root ball when transplanting them you could do it now. Make sure you dig the transplant hole before moving them, add well rotted manure or garden compost to the planting hole, some bonemeal and sprinkle some mycorrhizal fungi over the roots and a bit in the planting hole. Then water well. This will give them the best start next year.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Ruby, now would be my answer having done it and it was a success. Cut down any weak or spindly stems take down the foliage by around a third. Dig out a good root ball and if you can have the new hole ready dug with some grit in the base and some compost dug in. If the hole is not ready then put in a plastic bag and tie to keep the root ball from drying out. I have put them in pots when it will be a while before I can plant them. Once planted water well then in spring prune lightly mulch and feed. Good luck.

Frank.