Forum home Talkback

chrythamums

I'd cut them back after the first frost. Chrysanthemums aren't always fully hardy so mulching them over winter will protect them from the frost. Cut them back to a few inches above the soil. This winter is forecast to be quite cold, more than average, so give them a mulch 2-3 inches thick. If you have a greenhouse I'd lift them and store them. You can then split them or take cuttings in spring.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Pauline Chrysanthemums are normally produced from the last years root stock, yours are late flowering so the plants would be left until May then cuttings taken, usually fresh growth from the base of the plant potted up and grown on, the original root then discarded. Saying that you can leave them until after this years flowers and in late Spring cut them down leaving the new growth and shoots to grow on, my Father did it both ways and he showed his Chrysanthemums. I do it by taking fresh cuttings and leave the root stock until the cuttings have matured, the fresh growth should be free from disease. They are fussy plants if grown for show, probably the reason I put them in and let them do their own thing apart from the annual cutting down. I do not like fuss.

Frank.