Forum home Problem solving

Wild Garlic

I mistakenly thought I had cleared all the wild garlic in the Spring, but it seems not. Any easier ways to get rid of it other than laboriously digging it all up.

• Alan DAlan D Posts: 55

Not that I know of, get the spade out and get digging !. You will feel a warm glow of satisfaction when the job is done.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Mine is surrounded by weed suppressing fabric, so it doesn't spread.

• Keep digging and eventually you'll get rid of most of the wild garlic. BUT you need to be vigilent!!

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,679

Hello , I was thinking of planting some wild garlic but it sound like it could be a problem , any idea how to restict it , or  just use a big pot ?image

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

It's a pain GWRS.  I know some people love wild garlic (both in the garden and also to eat it) but it's so invasive and really difficult to get rid of.  I'm starting on my second year trying to get rid of mine and I'm still finding garlic bulbs in the soil.  I've dug the soil over several times and even sprayed it with resolva. 

Maybe if you don't let the garlic flower and you keep it in a pot you would be ok? 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,679

Thanks for the info , also looked it up on various sites and have decided not to plant it in my allotment or gardenimage

• TraceyA2TraceyA2 Posts: 116
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I just have to start digging it up yet again ????
  • CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

I feel your pain Tracey.  So annoying when you have to do something all over again when you thought you had it sorted.  Yep, keep digging ... you're not on your own imageimage

• Embrace the stuff.

In the wild bears coming out of winter hibernation can not get enough of the this !!

They search for the leaves. Like the bears the fresh mild leaves are my favourite spring time treat.Just eat them as they are. Much nicer than plain old lettuce etc.

I do not bother with the bulbs

I have not had any problem with it leaving its original planted position.

It tends only to spread by the copious seed it produces.

Eat the flower stalks, and then no seeds.,and no problem.

Once you allow seed you have a problem , so perhaps not much help in your case.

Hire some bears they probably will eat the bulbs as well.