Forum home The potting shed

Aberfan

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

It's almost fifty years since the Aberfan disaster, which occurred on 21.10.1966. Last night I heard on the news that England's last viable coal mine is about to be closed down. In 1966 I was living in the South Yorks coalfields. The idea that coalmining would ever end was unthinkable.  There are tons of the stuff still down there.

How life has changed. Farms turned into housing estates. Shipyards shut. Steel made in the far east. We all now work in call centres and have three part time jobs with no security of tenure. Sad.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sad pansyface, I used to work for the NCB in S.Yorks.

Remember being at my Grandma's when the news about Aberfan came through image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

Yes, there was a lot of comradeship (not in the political sense necessarily) between mining communities. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sure was, I wouldn't have wanted to work down the pit but many who did so missed the friendship and solidarity your life depended on your co-worker.  My maternal grandfather died in a big pit disaster in 1936 when Mum was 8 and gran always spoke about the care and support she got from other miners families, not the mine owners.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,545

I was the same age as many of the children lost and I had cousins my age living in S. Wales  - I remember hearing about it  - it was the first time that the television news was really relevant to me.

A horrific tragedy.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• On the theme of disappearing industries and the effect on whole communities, did either of you see Sting's New York concert of the music from his play 'The Last Ship', shown on BBC 4 a few months ago?. Great music & musicianship, very moving.

Yes. Great fan of Sting's songs. Wonderful old photo of the ship at the end of the street too.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I had just started work as a graphic designer for ITN, I think I started in the September and I was only 18. When the news came in about the Aberfan disaster even the most cynical, hard-bitten journalists were shocked. It was a truly appalling event, and as I understand, preventable.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

I remember it quite well too. JFK slightly passed me by as I was just a bit too young but I vividly remember my parents' reaction. Aberfan was possibly more relevant to me as it involved children.

The world is such a small  place now - in those days a big news event like that had huge impact because you didn't hear about disasters of that sort very often. It often worries me that we might become slightly detached from dreadful news stories because we hear and see about them  so often. It's important that we don't.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• xx Posts: 100

I remember Aberfan. I was only a kid at school in a mining village called Grimethorpe  nr. Barnsley. I still have a tear in my eyes when I think about it. God bless them.

Let's hear it for the colliery bands!