Tomatoes - End of season

My vines look like they're done for the year, with rot and blight creeping in everywhere.

Is there a right way to handle vines once you're finished with them? Since you don't grow the same vines again the next year, I don't suppose it matters if you cut down all the foliage, unlike bulbs and tubers?

But within the soil will be a huge tangle of roots, so should I just leave them to rot or do they need manually removing if I want to plant things in the same planter next year?

I remember trying to plant new flowers in an old window box once, and in the end I had to empty all the soil into the compost bin because it was just a mass of roots from previous flowers. There's too much soil in my planter to empty it, so I have to work with the soil already inside it.

• If you have got blight in your tomato vines definitely do not put them on the compost bin.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,293

Cut the vines off leaving about 3-4 inches of stem above the soil (ie enough to grasp) and after a few weeks you'll be able to easily pull most of the root-ball out.  The smaller roots in the soil will soon rot away completely.  I have soil borders in my greenhouse and do this every year.  I also replace the top few inches with multi-purpose compost annually as the tomatoes will have used up most of the nutrients in it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Either burn the vines or put them in household rubbish if they have had blight.image