Forum home Problem solving

How Would You Over-Winter These?

Hello,

I was just wondering on what people's opinions would be on the best way to over-winter these Trailing Begonia's? I love the colours so would like to try keep them. Obviously they will be going in a frost free GH but I wasn't sure how far to cut them back?

Thanks image

• LizyannLizyann Posts: 35

I have kept these over last winter in a unheated GH but insulated with bubble wrap I just cut them back gradually as they died back naturally 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

One of my neighbours has a gardener who digs them up before the frosts (they are in a large trough outside ) and stores the roots in an outhouse, wrapped in straw or similar.image

• Thanks to you both!

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595

I let mine die back naturally last year and lifted the corms quite late I seem to remember. There had just been a frost (not ideal I know) and most of the top growth had rotted back so I  tidied them up with scissors.

I then left the corms spaced out in trays in the greenhouse (unheated) to allow the great clods of earth they came up with to dry. Over the ensuing weeks I removed the surplus earth to let the corms dry off properly (not dry out!).

Then, around Feb/March, as spring approached, I covered them all shallowly with a good layer of compost which was kept only just damp (sprayed now and then).

After a few weeks new shoots began to appear. Once these were an inch or so high they were planted out again in troughs and pots and I was thrilled to find they all produced even better blooms than the previous year, (which had been only my first year's attempt at growing begonias, so I'm no expert!)

Note: some of the above are not trailing begonias. 

• Hi Birdie13, thanks for this it is a help. Last year I cleaned the tubers free of soil (not easy) and stored them in shoe boxes containing horticultural sand. This was treated with, I think, yellow sulphur and most survived and did well but, living in Scotland,everything is later than down south.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

I leave mine to dry then wrap individually in newspaper then place in a cardboard box and keep in the conservatory.

Next Spring lay them on top of a seed tray of damp compost so the soil only comes half way up the corm. Try not to get them wet in the middles, they will rot. 

When they're rooted and shooted you can pot up individually or in baskets. Keep in until no signs of frost.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.