Potatoes - diff varieties problems

Hi, I had 2 raised beds for potatoes this year - new, nothing been grown there before.  I planted charlotte and desiree at the same time. 

I have to say i did no soil improvement, didnt earth up and didnt water them over the hot dry summer (i am a rubbish gardener i know).  Soil is heavy and rocky. 

the charlottes came out first, were lovely.  Not a big crop but i was very impressed by the smooth unmarked skins. 

Desiree came out later and as and when needed.  They are enormous, but have nasty skins, scab i think,  a lot of slug damage, some have rotted.  Big spuds but practically nothing edible really. 

I am wondering if the difference between these two, is the length of time in the ground?   Or some varieties like my soil better than others?

i intend to get charlotte next year - what would be a better main crop then? 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Orla get eaten by slugs

• a1154a1154 Posts: 749

OK thanks.  Id be interested in what people find reliable, particularly on heavy soils.  There are so many types available locally its a bit mind boggling.  

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

Google "slug resistant potatoes uk" then see which ones are available locally.  For me (heavy clay infested with keel slugs), Kestrel are hardly touched.  Some advice from the RHS including both susceptible and resistant varieties (scroll down to 'potatoes and slugs'):

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=228

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.