Pot size advice please

Hello all,

Some advice please. just bought 3 trees (currently around 40cm tall) but want to know best pot size to use?

I am going to make my own from reclaimed pallets but wanted rough idea on size? advice very welcome.

ps they are varieties suited to pots image

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

what species of trees are they?

in general the answer to pot sizes for trees is - the biggest pot you can get!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Are they on a dwarfing rootstock?  That makes a big difference as to what sized pot you use.  On the whole agree with tree hugger, the biggest you possibly can.  However, if they are the small upright single stemmed ones they will not need as big a pot and in fact may then be over potted. Might be better to use a slightly smaller one for now, let them fill the pot with roots over the next year or so and then pot on to a large one.  Do see if you can find out which rootstock they are on.   

• Not 100% sure, will find out though (at work so not got to hand)

Was thinking of going for approx 18" x 18" x 18"

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,219

Are you planning on lining the pallets with plastic sheet? It will need holes punched in the bottom. If you don't line them are you going to treat the wood?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Not going to line but I am going to pull the pallets to bare pieces and build up from scratch.

On bottom - I will drill some small hole in as will leave no gaps in slats.

Do you think the wood will withstand much in the way of watering? Will it discolour or rot?

• Sorry missed part of my message, will treat the inside too image

It's just that I've been there. Well, I haven't. Hubby hasimage

• My work so far. Just gotta stain.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

That looks very good, so presuming your trees are on dwarfing root stock they should do well.  Are you going to train them into a fan or some such?   As they are still very young you may want to think abut some winter protection for this year - maybe wrap the pots in paper and hessian or something like that.  You don't want the baby roots to freeze in their first winter.  A good mulch on top of the compost will help too, besides keeping the roots warm and stopping some of the weeds germinating - or at least making them easier to pull out if they do get in there.