not easy being wildlife friendly!

I do try to be considerate to wildlife. In my garden I share my fruit with the birds, plant slug resistant plants, flowers for bees etc but in the allotment ........ it's war!

First there were the foxes and the rabbits. I surrounded the plot with fine wire mesh (not good for hedgehogs). Then came the pigeons. I covered the beds with mesh (not good for beneficial birds). Then there were mice..... and so it goes on.

So, what/who won the war? The slugs and snails of course!

ps. I am still fighting.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,405

I long ago realised that I am only in the business of keeping the planet stocked with wildlife. I go to the street market and Co-op for my veg and fruit - organic of course.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hi Barbraimage

i use a spray which deters the slugs and snails, so at least they are still around for the wildlife to eatimage, its just called SAS spray, made from yucca i think, works a treat, i also put out food for the hedgehogs etc which the slugs eat, they seem to leave most of my stuff alone ..... good luck, it aint easy on an allotment image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,285

we have ( at least ) one fox family on our land, and they seem to keep the resident rabbits under control. I've not seen the deer lately ,so hopefully he / she has moved on. Slugs and snails have been bad this year. I reckon last year's mild winter helped more survive.

Devon.