Forum home Talkback

A few questions

PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,213

Do you put your Tomatoes / cucumber plants in the compost bin or Brown bin - other? i tend to bin them in case of disease. 

Do i need to line the inside of a wooden half barrel? it nearly filled up with water at the moment. 

Greenhouse automatic vent -  what happens when you remove the temperature adjuster  screw in pin? does it stop  it opening, i am just curious cause i want to tape my roof vent down when it really windy like the coming tuesday image 

Has anyone try growing strelitzia - bird of paradise from seed? i want one image 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122

If I'd had problems with the tomatoes I would put them in the brown bin for collection - if not, they go in the compost bin. I don't grow cucumbers but the same would apply.

What is the barrel of water for? If you want it as a water feature the water will keep the wood moist therefore it will stay in one piece because the slats expand and are contained by the metal band. If they dry out it falls apart. If you want it as a planter it might be wise to line it - but you'll then need holes in the bottom of course!

Can't advise on the greenhouse or the Strelitzia, although I went to look at a house a few years ago and the vendor had grown one from seed. It was beautiful. He kept it in his conservatory - I expect he'd grown it in there -  and was his pride and joy. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,213

the barrel is going to be planted up with some spring bulbs soon and probably a canna for the summer image, it partly filled up with all the rain but i put extra in so it be hard to steal. 

The roof vents are heavy duty thermofer vents, they have two heavy duty spring but i still not convinced image

had a look on rhs website about strelitzia, can take upto 10 years to flower from seed image. Now them i saw in the garden centre dont look to expensive. £60 they were and a fair size as well.   

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,514

No where near that long to flower Perki!

Mum set a seed no more that 4 years ago, this year its had its first flower, but the plant has been growing very fast and is now 3.5 ft tall.  Worth growing, she keeps it in the dining room, never been outside.

£60.00 for one, blimey get the seeds, you can make yourself a fortune.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.