Forum home Talkback

Rhs plant shop

I recently brought this box hedging on the rhs site. http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/buxus-sempervirens/classid.436/ Great ??35 reduced to ??17 I thought. There is also ??5 postage. However I accidently under ordered and need a few more. I was passing wisley so popped in to buy more. At the centre they are only ??11. That's without any sale or discounts. Now I feel ripped off. Although to be fair ??35 for 6 9cm box plants is pretty expensive to start with.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

I think lots of things - not just plants - are dressed up to look like a bargain image

Pays to do a bit of research before buying anything these days. For plants - online nurseries as well as local nurseries and GCs.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

They are expensive. I remember seeing a bog standard Heuchera going for 17.99

• NugentNugent Posts: 2

Yes  they are expensive but the plant quality and range is usually excellent and don't forget the RHS is a charity

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..as I've mentioned before here, the RHS uses Crocus for all their plants orders.  It's in their terms and conditions, the plants do not come from RHS Wisley plant centre.

You will find the same offer on the Crocus web site.

(Please note: this site, and all orders from it, are managed on our behalf by crocus.co.uk Limited)

• I have loads of box hedging that will be evicted next year, if you were anywhere near York you'd be welcome to it.

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    Salino, I hadn't noticed that but you are quite correct. I'll be buying my plants from my local nursery in the future.

Lisa thanks for the offer but Yorkshire a bit far for me!
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

bought a brolly at tatton as  OH forgot her walking stick ,£15image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

I'm fortunate that I can go to a nursery which supplies many GCs and outlets round the country -  so everything is Scottish grown and there's a big choice. I rarely buy from other GCs or DIY places now-only if there's something I can't get or it's a reduced item. I bought most of my bulbs online last year and I expect some of those came in from other countries but I buy home grown whenever possible. 

I think Crocus is hideously expensive at the best of times - more of an online  GC rather than a nursery growing it's own stock - but perhaps I've got that wrong.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....