Forum home Plants

campanula

Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Hi everyone , I'm new to the forum and also to proper gardening so will be seeking your expert advice a lot!  I have been given a pot of campanula 'blue bloomers' , would this be OK to re-pot into a container and also is it hardy enough to remain outside during the winter? Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

Hello. Unless you live in the wildest, wettest part of UK I'd say it is safe to put your blue bloomers out in the garden.image

Also OK in a container, but guard against it getting blown over, they are prone to wind damage.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

Hi Flowers in the rain and welcome image

Your plant is a hardy perennial, so it will die down over the winter and reappear and flower again next year. 

It can go in a container, but I think it will be happier in a border, if you have room.

Some info about it here:

http://www.bluebellcottage.co.uk/plants/CAM154-Campanula-persicifolia-Blue-Bloomers

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,028

Hi welcome to the forum.  The campanula is a hardy perennial so should be fine outdoors all year.  If its like all the other campanulas I know then it will disappear underground for the winter and reemerge in the spring.  Regarding the container aspect, I have quite a few varieties but they are all in the ground and I have never grown one in a container but I'm sure someone will come along and give you advice on this.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,028

Ooh looks like I crossed with a few other, glad to see our advice is the same.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

Phew!  That's always a relief Yviestevie image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Thanks for all of your replies, its seems that the best place for it is in the ground and so that has been added to my 'to do' list for tomorrow. Thankyou for the info link Dovefromabove

Just been thinking about my ' blue bloomers' image....could I split the plant into two, or is it the wrong time of year to do this, thanks again 

Bumping up- any advise on offer?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

It depends on how big and healthy the plant is really. Personally I'd give it a couple of years before I split it.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.