Forum home Talkback

Any suggestions

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

At long last the wall is fixed.  It's been too dangerous for any work to be done here for nearly 18 months. Golden opportunity to plant on my best south/west wall. I am dumping the old Broom and planting Philadelphus but would love ideas for the wall to give all year interest. All your own favourites please!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

That looks like a fine limestone wall. Which part of the country are you in? Mild climate? Hard winters? Salt winds?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

620ft  high in frost pocked south Lanarkshire! Wall takes a huge amount of wind in the winter but has some protection. 

A A Milne
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,214

its a nice wall, what about a viginia creeper it look nice this time of year. Or climbing hydranga - climbing rose image but my favorite climber  Wisteria image

i think i would have a climbing / rambling rose on the wall

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

I don't think you can beat climbing roses and clematis. I have a Blush Noisette rose that has been flowering since June - admittedly its lilac pink button flowers are not for everyone. Clematis Mrs Cholmondeley has been doing the same - still got at least 20 blooms on it. Rose Brother Cadfael is a goer and a sweet rose pink. A nice clear yellow rose is climbing Arthur Bell - very healthy and a good long flowering season stretching into the first frosts.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Great all ideas worth local research. Sadly we can't grow wisteria at our height 

A A Milne
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Trained fruit trees for me!  Peach, nectarine, fig and pear far a start - in fact most fruit trees would love to be trained against a lovely heat-retaining wall like that. image

Edit: just read your other message regarding altitude and being a frost pocket so maybe not!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

Bob image

Clematis would be lovely. Roses too - not my thing - but they'd be a perfect combination for the aspect. LilyP - I'm about the same height above sea level,  and this garden's more exposed than the one I had nearby but I can vouch for Clematis Etoile Violette anyway - it's been superb here. I planted a Virginia Creeper three years ago on a south west facing wall at my last house (sandstone Victorian building ) I passed it recently and it looked stunning. The white Clematis montana  'grandiflora'   were happy in that aspect  too.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks everyone,image think I will go with the rose/clematis combo.  Any space I can fill with annuals.

will hope to post piccie next summer

side of the house has Virginia creeper on it, been fab this yearimage

A A Milne
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

It'll be perfect for sweet peas too LP if you like to grow them image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

My all time favourite and yes they grow fabulously on this wall! Can't wait for next summer. Do you sow them just now or the spring?

A A Milne