Chilli and garlic questions

i have a few questions for my teachersimage please 

chillies- I have some scotch bonnets in the greenhouse. I have about 50 fruits, all either green or orange or somewhere in between. I've been picking them for about 6 weeks. None of them have gone or are going red. Are they likely to now that they aren't getting the heat and sun that they were? Is orange going to be their mature colour? I don't really have the space in the house for them so bringing them indoors isn't really an option image 

A couple of weeks ago I planted some onions and garlic in modules ready to go up to my allotment. The onions are going great guns and every one of them have sprouted, but the garlic is doing nothing. It's just sitting there in its lovely warm (ish!) compost, being watered daily, and is doing absolutely zilch. Have i got duff bulbs? I got them from the garden centre

Thanks image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,219

why didn't you leave the chillies on the plant until they were red? That's what  I do.I planted garlic a week or so ago, and I've had no visible growth. Maybe they're sending out roots first?

Devon.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

The chillies have been orange on the plant for about 6 weeks. Are they likely to go red after all this time? 

• I prefer some chillies to be green especially the scotch type or the trinidad Scorpion type.

You get more taste without the excess heat. Still hot  though .

Try some and if  ok freeze the ones not needed .

These I can eat whole straight off with a few tomatoes to cool my mouth down if needed.

Could not do this once red.

Garlic problem experienced once but bought from supermarket and learnt they spray bulbs to inhibth growth.. Waited a whole winter nothing ,,just as planted months before.

Sacrifice one and dig up to check base.

If nothing then [perhaps start again, plenty of time to plant befor end of October.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,219

I'm no expert, but I'd guess they're more likely to ripen on the plant than  off. I know there's a chilli guru who uses this forum. Maybe she ( I'm sure she's a lady ) will spot this topic.

Devon.
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Why are you watering your garlic daily?

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,116

From my OH, at this time of year they will be slow to ripen. If you want them to ripen they need heat and sun. It is not unknown for them to take up to 2 months to ripen fully this time of year. We currently have some ricottos that have not ripened yet and have been full size for 3 months now. So you can wait or you can eat them green.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,116

From my OH, Garlic is best ignored, it needs to suffer. Don't water or anything. It will sit there for a while and then when its had a frost it should kick into life. These are the 2 things my OH grows every year.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I'll try and answer each reply image 

hostafan- I've only picked off a few. The plants are loaded. I had half a green one fried up onions and mushrooms a couple of weeks ago and didn't think that much of it image I know they're at their mildest when they're green. But blimey! I'll keep them on the plants and see what happens

viola man I pulled one up earlier and there's nothing. I'll probably chop and freeze a few green ones

Fleurisa they've not been getting a good soaking but enough to stop the compost from drying out completely. Should I not be doing that? 

Gardenmaiden, thank you on both counts. I know to ignore the garlic when it's in but I didn't think I should be ignoring it while its still in the modules. 

Thank you folks, I'm still relatively new to all this and have had to do, and learn a lot in only a few months

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,314

hello , chillies I have just picked mine ,it is getting cold in the g/h . What I do is tie a bit of string between 2 window handles in the conservatory , then tie the chillies on with cotton , and the green ones always turn red image

Garlic i only ever plant straight into the ground and so far I have not had any problems , personally can't see the point of putting them in modules ? No doubt somebody will time me whyimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I would plant garlic cloves straight into the ground also. They don't need mollycoddling. image