Forum home The potting shed

help please as regards my dog

Has anyone had any experience syringeing fluids into a dog's mouth.? We have to get some glucose solution into our dog. The vet gave us a syringe along with the glucose powder. 

We have never done this before ,do we open his mouth and squirt the liquid to the back of his throat ?  If so any tips ? Any at all will help.we have put some into his dish but he won't entertain it at the moment.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I would be worried that he would choke.  Can you squirt it in the side of his mouth just a little at a time.  Can the powder be mixed with his favourite food or does it have to be liquid to be effective.  I think I would give the vet a ring and ask them before doing anything else at the moment.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

I'm hoping that Steve the vet who posts on here sees this and can help.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,485
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

If you have to give oral fluids in a syringe, I know with young children they say you give from the side of the mouth to avoid choking.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

My beloved Tia (border collie) had a vestibular event a few years ago and I had to syringe water into her mouth for several days to prevent dehydration and help her get back on her paws.

Firstly get a thick towel to lay across your lap, coz it's gonna get wet. Get your dog to come and lay on your lap (or lift him onto your lap) and give him some love and strokes. His head ideally should be at an angle so that the water will flow downwards and into his throat. Lift the side of his mouth and gently put the syringe in pointing towards his throat and inject just a little water (a teaspoon).

Initially he may gag and splutter a bit because he's not used to it, but it's all about keeping quiet and calm and give him plenty of reassurance. If it fails the first time give it a while and try again. After a few attempts Tia got the hang of it and in a couple of days she was ok.

It took me a few hours and quite a bit of anxiety, but we got there. The alternative was for her to go to the vet and be put on a drip for a few days, so I was very glad I persisted.

Very best of luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • any chance he will lick off your fingers gran? i know its a bit gross, but mine seems to respond to that, good luck x

good job Peteimage

If he's not poorly and can stand ok, then it's just getting him to be comfortable with a plastic thing being put in his mouth.

Keep his head lifted slightly and pull the side of his mouth and put the squirty bit alongside his closed teeth and squirt a little gently towards his jaw. then he'll hopefully gulp it down. Being glucose he'll probably like it.

I'm assuming (I know I shouldn't) that we're not just talking about a teaspoon of glucose. In which case it's lift head a little, open mouth and squirt (gently) toward the back of his tongue.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Many years ago I remember Dad quirting a small amount into boxer dogs mouth, at the side, closed his mouth, tipped head bag and massaged his throat. Dunno if that helps,  don't want you to choke your dog. image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879

Thank you to you all ,

I have managed to get some down him with your help  .I don't know what I would do without this forum ,I can't imagine where else I could get to know so much about everything that worries me ,in the garden and outimage

Hope he's back to his old self very soon

best wishes xx