Forum home Fruit & veg

When to Plant Garlic

Hi All,

When do people generally put their garlic in? I'm thinking it might still be a bit early, especially given the mild weather?

Thanks!

• I planted some 2 weeks ago and some more a few days ago.
    Now is a good time to plant Autumn Garlic & Onions.

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Excellent. Thank you NGCARDS. I'll do mine at the weekend then.

• Glad to be of help image 

• I've experimented this year planting some in pots following a video I saw on the Thompson Morgan website.  I've chosen a couple of pretty big pots with about 6 bulbs in each, fingers crossed...!

Interesting, what's the advantage of using pots?

• I think I slipped up last year when I planted whole bulbs instead of splitting them up.  All I got was tiny bulbs but WOW, they're powerful!  Should I split them this year?

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

You just need to plant a clove at a time. About 4-6ins apart, deeper than an onion set about 1in or so under soil.Now is the best time to try to beat the arrival of the cold weather

Yeah, I went too shallow last year, having read that they should be only barely buried. The birds ate almost all of them. Deeper this year.

• Monty Don last week suggested fleece at planting time to cover onion sets but I have covered the garlic as well.Birds etc sorted.Also cats.

Await results.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Garlic does not need mollycoddling, It's really a tough plant, I just put a piece of netting over mine to cat proof them