Forum home Talkback

Clearing Lilly of the valley.

In my front garden i have soil thick with lily of the valley and quite deep.Will i have to dig it up,which time consuming or can i put down weedkiller.Wish to put small shrubs and lavender in its place.I don't mind waiting till next to to plant thew.Any help would be most appreciated.Many Thanks Graham Evans

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,544

Oh graham please don't kill them! Could you not dig up and swap or share on our seed and plant swap thread? They will go like hot cakes image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566

Not sure how Lily of the Valley reacts to glyphosate but it works on most things.  If I lived nearer I'd come and get some of them for my garden - I love them. 

My concern is that you want to plant lavender in its place.  If Lily of the Valley is happy that indicates to me that the soil is damp and heavy and the situation shady. 

Lavender needs gritty free-draining soil and full sunshine all day.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I agree with Dove; though lily of the valley used to do very well right next to flourishing Agapanthus in my London garden.

Graham, what is the aspect, soil, sun/shade ratio of this area?image

• Please don't destroy your lily-of-the-valley. Give some to me. I love them, as do a lot of folks.

It's wicked to destroy such a lovely plant. Please think of swapping them as already suggested.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021

I agree with Dove and Artjak. I cannot see Lavender and Lilly of the valley surviving in the same sort of environment. Poor soil, well drained and full sun versus damp and shady.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go