Forum home Fruit & veg

Vandalism!

Got home tonight and went to unload my car and realized that my garden had been vandalized during the day or evening.

The pea sticks have been pulled out and strewn across the lawn - the peas are already finished and I have been meaning to take them down, but I had put some pots and a seed tray containing some radishes I had about given up on in between them and they were also strewn across the lawn. The spinach and radishes in the same raised bed have all been pulled up (no sign of them). The Chicken wire cover I put over my strawberries to keep the cats off is lying up against the fence and at least one strawberry plant has been pulled up and there are strawberry leaves all over the lawn. The carrots I was growing in a compost bag on the coal bunker have all been pulled out and the pots that were behind it are spread all over the lawn. Some of the slats from one of my compost bins are also laying on the lawn.

There were only about a dozen carrots, maybe 2 dozen radishes and a dozen spinach plants (which were starting to fade anyway) so the value of damage is very small but it is incredibly annoying.

I have been meaning to build a bigger fence up the back because there is a group of 3 small kids who keep climbing over (I suspect it was them or their ringleader that has done the damage, although I haven't seen them for a while and couldn't prove anything). A bigger fence might stop them for a while but it's impossible to make the garden secure, for part of one side my boundary is a retaining wall about 2m high  in places, lower in others, so people can jump down into the garden quite easily, and I doubt if I would be allowed to put a fence on top of that?

What would you do?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688
    I'd buy a lot of mahonia, berberis and pyracantha bushes.

And a sign saying "Ebola quarantine area - keep out".
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,026

That is terrible lots of prickly plant could help like pansyface said try roses and holly

Hampshire Gardener
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760

Its not so much the damage done but the fact that someone has been in whilst you were out. My parents were burgled some years ago and thats how my mum looked at it. They got a German Shepherd dog after that, on the Policemans recomendation, he said they always turn a blind eye to dogs molesting burglars!

Prickly bushes are the thing for unruly kids.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,278

Sorry to hear about your problems Boater, it's really upsetting when your bit of the world is invaded.  You're right Lyn, when we were burgled the police said to forget the alarm and get a big dog.  Prickly bushes are also a good thing, I can recommend berberis, I have one by my path!  A big patch of stinging nettles might also work, if you have the room. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,716

Oh what a shame!  Sorry to hear that.  I agree with the suggestions of prickly plants and nettles etc.  But also, have a word with your Neighbourhood Policeman, it's what he/she is for.  While the children are young there's a chance to influence them by the police giving a talk at their school etc, and walking around talking to parents - whereas if the damage was done by teenage louts things like that don't sway them, in fact it probably makes them worse. 

And what about some Anti-climb paint?  Contrary to popular opinion it is legal to use it as long as you conform to certain stipulations https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q726.htm , and in fact just putting the warning signs up might be enough to keep some people away.

It's sad - when I was a child I lived in the middle of nowhere, and spent my days exploring, taking risks, making camps, damming ditches and doing all sorts of stuff and no one bothered me because the area was wild.  Children don't get enough 'wild' nowadays image

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688
    And you would need to give your peickly plants some good strong stakes otherwise they would get trampled. Anti climb paint on the stakes too to stop them being used as a climbing aid.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,536

Oh Boater I am so sorry to read your post.  As it will take some time unless you can afford big prickly bushes to establish maybe you could install a security camera even if a dummy one and that may put them off

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760

Pea shooters in my day!!

We have that Berberis around our oil tank, Police said even if they break into it, they will certainly leave some DNA.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

WE had some difficulties with some youths - squeezed tomato ketchup all over our caravan, and trample od garden. A word with the Communitty police person soon put an end to it - she knew who it would be and challenged them

Seek out you community police person or whatever they are called - they will deal with it.

Oh and take photos!!!

Not at this house I must add