Forum home Talkback

shed base

My builders are trying to convince me to lay a slab of concrete to support a shed and greenhouse because they say this is easiest and cheapest.  However, I'm not that keen on this, despite possible need to weed with a paved solution.  I don't really have drainage problems in the garden, and the soil is deep and silty. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best approach?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I would go with the builders. If you place the greenhouse on earth it will get muddy when you water, unless you put paving slabs down, which comes to the same thing as a concrete base, but with more hidey-holes for slugs.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

ours is on concrete ,rough finish  and if i do it again same thing,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,265

If you lay it on slabs they'll move unless you bed the slabs on concrete so you might as well lay it on a concrete base.

And as WO says - fewer lairs for lurking slugs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I had my GH put on a concrete slab , No real problems with it.

I had it made about 3 ft longer than GH so I now have a place to put pots etc when moving them in and out of GH. etc

• Why are you against the idea of a concrete base, can I ask?

We had some old concrete paving slabs that were going to be chucked out anyway, so we arranged these on levelled, compacted sand and mortared them in. Same sort of thing. We then stuck our shed on blocks, so it wouldn't be in direct contact with concrete. Has helped too reserve the floor if shed from rotting in the wet. 

• Sorry, typos...meant to say raise the floor of shed slightly above the concrete base, to stop it siting on a wet surface and rotting faster. Bloomin' predictive autocorrect!

• Concrete is the best option
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

I think ours is on bare earth, but it is really dry. Under the workbench the floor is gravelled and the rest is paving slabs with gravel around the outside edge. It was there when we moved in and 10 years later is still ok.

• It depends on the ground conditions but conceate is good for a baise
  • Thanks everyone for your replies!