Petrol Lawnmower any suggestion.

Hi All

I'm think of getting a petrol lawnmower, the electric one is really not suitable for our garden now. I have been holding off for a while, but now is the time to hang up its power cable. What makes would you suggest?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,986

I think that Honda make the best.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Honda is the only one I would consider.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

Ours came from Screwfix.I can't remember the name but there were only 2 and we got the self-propelled one, It seems fine, always starts and cut the grassimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,932

Screwfix do a Mountfield one which is very cheap (around £180 I think). I bought a new one this year but went for a Honda Izzy start. The sixteen inch cut one. It starts first time and so easily. Well pleased (after the debacle with the battery one I bought earlier). My last petrol one was a pull start (so is the Honda) but was impossible for me to start without taking off the sir filter cover every time. No more! The Honda was very expensive though.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Hi Mark ,last year i looked at almost every mower for sale ,i ended up with this one and promised to keep the gardeners here up to date when i put it away for winter which i shall do,I ended up at Homebase ,a Qualcast ,good reliable well known name,and its been the bees knees ,no probs what soever,easy start and due to an operation Kate my partner has to mow and she loves it.

Product details

• The Qualcast - Self Propelled Petrol Rotary Lawnmower - 125cc is powered by a Briggs and Stratton 450 Series engine and has a steel chassis for durability.
    • Material: Steel.
    • Cutting height range: 5 settings (25-75mm).
    • Cutting width: 46cm.
    • Colour: Green.
    • Type: Petrol.
    • Features: Height adjustment lever, folding handle..
    • Collection capacity: 55L grass collection bag.
    • Engine: 125cc, 4 stroke.
    • Weight: 27kg.
    • Guarantee: 2 years.
      http://homebase.scene7.com/is/image/homebase/131599_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Sorry Mark I forgot £199:99 i would buy it again its a good one

• Thanks Alan for the spec. I will have a look at this one and Honda that others have mentioned. Take careimage

• I'd go for a Honda izzy I had a petrol mountfield and it was rubbish it had a Chinese copy of a Briggs and Stratton and dropped to bits after 2 years

My Honda izzy has been amassing this year it's far more powerful cuts better and uses far less fuel and is quiter.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,932

The Honda is def quieter than the Mountfield I had.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,654

I've been very happy with my Hayter petrol mower I got last year.

Does a good job and easy to clean and service

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.