Plant Supports for Perennials

I remember seeing Monty Don making plant supports for perennials on a earlier episode of Gardeners World.  Can anybody tell me how he did it?  I know he used metal rods of some description and bent them.

• Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 105

Thanks figrat, thats a great idea with the metal rods

• Thank you for your help, this is exactly what I was looking for

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    You're welcome.
  • Can anyone tell me where I can buy the metal rods to make the plant supports please?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,757
    Builders merchants. They're steel reinforcing rods.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb 
  • Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 105

Thanks for that????

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

So glad I saw this. The price for ready made supports is eye wateringly high.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,145

It is and with these you can buy the 5m lengths of metal rod and cut them in 2 for tall plants then bend them to size.   I use this size very successfully for echinops, purple phlomis, helianthemums and so on and they do the job well whilst being invisible most of the season.    

The Vendée, France
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 862

Hi folks,

Here is my contribution to this discussion, using the same material (metal rods) but a different method. In France these metal rods are sold in lengths of 6 metres, so I get the merchant to cut them into 3 m lengths for my larger supports and into 2 m for the smaller ones.

Tutorial on my garden site  here:

Hope that helps!

There is no such thing as a maintenance-free plant or landscape.
    The Renegade Gardener (Don Engebretson)