Forum home Talkback

What is this shrub please

It is flowering now what is it called and when is the best time to prune as it is a Little overgrown thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215

It looks like one of the variegated Weigelas. 

Several shrubs are flowering out of season at the moment as they're confused by the cool spell we had in August.  Weigela usually flowers in late spring/early summer and should be pruned after flowering.  Details here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=197

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

It's a weigela. It's usual flowering time is earlier in the summer but lots of plants do an extra late flowering. Bets time to prune is after the main flush of flowers in May or June or whenever they flower. Cut a few stems right back to base and leave the rest. 

• Thanks for your help is it too late to cut back now

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

You risk cutting off next year's flowers but it won't hurt the shrub I'm sure

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215

If you really want to cut it back now, take out some of the taller stems from the base, rather than shorten all the the stems.  That way the stems that you leave untouched will flower in the spring/summer. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your help and advice