bags for composting

derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 121

I was wondering if the large bags that builders get sand delivered in could be used for making compost in ? they are about 1mtr square and made from a woven fabric and the air should be able to get in and water should be able to get out, has any one tried them or any thoughts about them? DD.

• these are good for doing your leaf mould in, ok for composting if you put some holes in the bottom for the worms

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 121

thanks Rhod there's some brand new ones at work , i think 2 should do the trick .DD

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Dduck I wonder if they will get too wet ? Snow on the top etc. Maybe you plan to put something over the top to keep water out and keep some warmth in image Worth a try though if you haven't an area for compost or a Dalek bin. Please tell us how you get on image

p.s If you have more than one bag, how about making the compost one more rigid at sides with a few bricks and use another as a "lid". image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,978

You can bash tree stakes inside each corner (it helps to make holes too) then wire the tops of the bags to the stakes to help keep them upright.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,845

It depends on how quickly you want your compost to be ready, you cant beat wood for warmth and that works them best, my OHput a load of stuff in a builders bag in his yard, it wasnt ready a year later, that would be no good for me, I need a quick turnover of the stuff.

You could do as suggested here, fill the bag then put another right over the top. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,911

dduck - I'm sure one of the forum members - fidgetbones - uses them, but she's on holiday just now. I think it is a bit slower than other materials though.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,899

If they're free it must be worth a try. That's a very good priceimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,817

I use them a lot. I cut the grass in the wooded area of our garden after leaf fall,  and stick the mix of grass / leaves into them dotted around. The results are fabulous.

Devon.
  • I used them to collect millions of leaves last yr-I'm surrounded by trees! I have been adding the leaf mould to my compost and have made the best compost ever. Definitely will be doing the same now.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,899

There might be some of those bags here somewhere. We have loads of leaves falling on grassimage

I might give it a try