Forum home Talkback

plant identification

This plant has appeared in my garden for the second year running. Similar to Japanese Knotweed in habit, it has pendulous flower structures purple in colour, with a small white flower at the end. The plant is now producing fruit very similar to small blackcurrants. 

Picture attached. Can anyone identify?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,017

It is Himalyan honeysuckle - Leycestria Formosa.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Thanks very much. I gather the berries are edible. Has anyone tried them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,547

When I grew it I  let the birds have them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KezzaKezza Posts: 90

I have one of these in the garden, over 10 foot tall this year.  I've just looked on the internet about the berries, and apparently they are edible, and taste from figgy to burnt chocolate to caramel to toffee image

Might try some tonight and see image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

I didn't know they were edible

I'll let you try first Kezzaimage

Kezza - please post tomorrow morning and let us know how you are .... I mean - what they tasted like .............. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oops, forgot to try them.  Will have some tonight, and let you all know tomorrow ......................image

When you didn't post this morning I feared the worst ............................. image

Hi all

Well, I tried them ....................

I've decided they taste like burnt figsimage

First one ..... tasted nice image

Second one .... not so sure image

Third one .... tasted quite bitter image

Fourth one .... (in the name of a science experiment for all mankind you understand) was disgusting and got spat outimage

Fifth, and final one .... (just to definitely make sure, and complete the experiment) was totally disgusting, and got spat out too imageimageimage

I'll leave them to the birdies.  Shame, coz the bush I've got is absolutely loaded with berries this year.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Thanks for reporting in Kezzaimage Glad you survived.

In my mushroom book some species are described as 'not poisonous',  not the same as edible. 

I should think it it's the same for many garden berriesimage