What do you do with soil from plant pots?

Hello all!

I was just wondering, what can I use soil for that I've grown things in this year, like annual flowers, chillies that have died, and tomatoes which have died back also with the recent weather?

cheers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,988

I put it on the garden or on the compost heap

• From my spud, corn and tomato pots, I sifted the roots out as much as I could and threw them in the compost bin. I used the rest which wasn't root free, mixed with some new compost and a bit of slow release feed. I'm growing onions, broccoli, cauliflower and some lettuce with that bunch.

You might be a bit late to start some of these, but lettuce will easily grow. Spinach as well. They're really quick to grow.

• xx Posts: 100

I use it as a mulch on the beds.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

It will be tired and washed out put it in the compost that is where mine goes.

Frank.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

I use it to pile on tender plants for the winter, doesnt matter that it has no goodness left, it will protect from frost.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156

Am I the only one who uses the same compost again next year? image The plants seem to grow just as well provided you feed them, at least that's what I've found.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

i seem to do the same as many: mine goes into the composts bin.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,551

I use mine in the same way as many others - on top of existing beds usually. At the moment I'm digging over an area of gravel and compacted clay which will become grass so I've added all the compost from pots which had sweet peas and tomatoes in there. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....