Forum home Talkback

Is it too late to prune shrubs?

Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

Hello all!

Another quick question. At this time of year can I trim to shape any of the following shrubs or is it too late and will they get damaged by the up and coming autumn.

Deutzia

Escallonia

Weigela

Forsythia.

Cheers!

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

Sorry I don't know how that happened, meant to post this in plants.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Jack,  Deutzia is July cut back flowering stems to ground level. Escallonia, trim lightly after flowering.  Weigela, cut back one or two of the old stems after flowering to ground level. Forsythia will now have the flowering stems on so leave until after flowering in Spring then cut back, do it now you lose the flowers.

The answer is really no you should not, wait until they have flowered but if they are out of hand then cut back about one third, you may miss some flowering if you do that.

Frank.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,340

I seem to remember being told , re winter pruning, " if it flowers before June, no need to prune" 

If it flowers before June, it's probably flowering on last year's wood, so leave it alone. If it flowers later than June, ( like buddleia ) it's probably flowering on this year's wood.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule, it holds pretty well.

Devon.

Thank you all. Yes I was thinking of leaving them.

Although Weigela is just flowering again now, it's flowers twice a year in my garden for some reason. Also weirdly the escallonia is just starting to flower now, it didn't really do much all year.

My Syringa is just flowering for a second time too. 

Anyway, I was going to tidy up the forsythia but I'll leave it as I want everything to flower, I didn't trim my winter flowering jasmine hedge all year because I didn't get any flower last year so hoping that helps.

I will shape everything once they have flowered next year.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

Jack, not sure what you mean by 'shaping' but don't be tempted to shorten all the branches back a bit to shape the bush. The long term result of that is a lot of thick dumpy looking blobs. See what Frank (Palaisglide) and Verdun say above about pruning.

Thanks for the advice Verdun. Nutcutlet, well the Forsythia forms part of a hedge between mine and the next garden, it's kind of been shaped like a hedge before I got in to this house. Last year I just trimmed any long shoots that came off it. It flowered profusely in spring and then I haven't really touched it this year.

The weigela was kind of spherical when I moved it and this does the same where it gets long shoots come out everywhere. Once it had flowered in spring I cut back all the really long shoots and now it's almost finished flowering for the second time and covered in long shoots.