Forum home Plants

Hollyhocks

• break23 wrote (see)

... Thompson and Morgan and are Antwerp Mixed ...

T&M's Antwerp Mixed are the ones I've grown for several years. I've never had a significant problem with slugs or rust. I don't use any pellets. Though that doesn't mean other gardens will have the same experience.

• You do need to be careful of slugs with any small plants. I'm merely saying that hollyhocks are not as tempting to slugs as many other plants are, especially lupins.

Another reason I like Antwerp is that they are single. Most (all?) hollyhocks sold in garden centres are double, and not as attractive to wildlife.

T&M are also offering a new variety of singles this year called Halo. I think that T&M were offering also Halo as mini-plug plants earlier in the year. That's actually a good way to buy them. I was tempted, but didn't actually purchase.

• Here is a link to a blog I look at occasionally for advice on flowers and seed collection. There are some good photos of the seeds:

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/how-to-collect-hollyhock-seeds.html

• Sprinkle some Corn meal around the Hollyhock in Feb and that stops rust. Not had any where the Corn meal was sprinkled but loads on some where no Corn meal was used.

• wow what great info I was almost giving up finding any advice I will look out for Antwerp and Halo on the T&M website.  When should the stems be cut down and is it to ground level?

• I would like to know when I can plant Hollyhock seeds to get plants next year. My seeds have been taken from the flowers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,431

Hi Ann, I'd store these cool and dry and sow them in spring. 

If you've got plenty you could try some now but then you'd have babies to get through the winter.

Mine (just one plant) are nowhere near ripe yet

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

Don't you just love Hollyhocks? The descendants of mine have spread down the street image

• Thank you Nutcutlet.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 298

I have clay soil and mine came up beautifully.  I have collected the seeds - one pod renders up loads - and will be sowing them then overwintering them in an unheated greenhouse.  I did this last year with penstemmons and they are now about 5 cm and very thick and healthy.  I'm going to try my astilbe...might not work but it doesn't cost anything and takes no time at all.  Just think of the nice surprises that might spring from this!