Forum home Talkback

This forum

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

Firstly, I must say that I am not a joiner of things, generally speaking. My interests are, by and large, pursued on a solitary basis. So I am not a member of groups, if I can avoid them.

I recently joined another forum, which is devoted to an entirely different subject. I was astonished, when I sent my little introductory "piece" saying "Hello, I was wondering if there is another forum member in my area" to receive my first response - "One wonders why".

Are other people surprised by how friendly this forum is (usually) or am I just unlucky in my choice of the other one?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,323

I'm a member of one other forum - we all share an interest in food but discussions range even more widely than on here - it too is friendly and some of us meet up for picnics and restaurant meals and some of us have become firm friends in real life as well as virtually.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I've a feeling that both these forums may be just a little out of the ordinary. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I think it's the gardening gene in us makes us friendly.

Only use gardening ones though!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

I guess it depends on the subject of the forum.  If it's foody or sewy or some other activity where recommendations for suppliers in your locality would be perfecty reasonable but some people are rightly wary of giving personal info away and protect their privacy. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

It is a hobby which has different aspects depending on where you live. It's not a business related thing at all. I  don't travel well and was hoping to find someone near where I live who could offer me their experiences in and around the area.

I felt as if I had stumbled into a Murder Mystery Weekend site.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Pansyface, this is a better controlled site than most, we have places to natter in the Potting Shed and do to great length. Some of us came on this site when the BBC closed theirs down and I for one never regretted it. The area's for gardening questions are well defined and well posted, certainly we get the same questions over and over mainly because some posters do not know how to find the way to previous answers. They would not ask if not worried so we answer with patience, on other sites I have seen some very impatient posts on often asked questions, why? it is important to the one asking who will be put off by a short sharp reply. Just enjoy the peace on this board, other boards are worse than murder ball.

Frank.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,894

I belong to a few Gardening sites and they are all as friendly as this one. Must be something to do with  the type of people who garden.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

I like to think it's because there is a large percentage of the fairer sex represented.. ...image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

All the best people are gardeners. No doubt about thatimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,323
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

All the best people are gardeners. No doubt about thatimage

.... and cooks image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

There are two poetry forums I used regularly before plunging more seriously into gardening this year. I hardly visit them now which I feel a little guilty about and my poetry has suffered because you need to immerse yourself in it to be able to write it.

However, the garden has certainly seen the benefits of my presence here image