Forum home Problem solving

Flowering currant hedge

I have a 10 metre long flowering currant hedge that has a section under which my house services pass. Despite re-planting three times with similar healthy bushes from elsewhere in my garden the bushes in the affected section die off. The hedge is about 14 years old and has had the problem all that time.

Could the roots be affected by the magnetic field around the electricity cable supplying my house as it passes under the hedge?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,181

I'd be more suspicious of the quality of the soil, if it's had a deep trench dug through it - could that area have had some clay subsoil brought to the surface?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,672

I created a border in a previous garden and actually hit the outer casing of the electric cables when digging it. image It didn't affect anything growing in the new border or anywhere nearby. I think Dove is nearer the mark Norman - there's more likely to be a soil issue. Is there any sign of waterlogging - leaking pipe perhaps, or something like that? Maybe you could have a little dig down and see if there's anything obvious.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Dove & Fairy - I will dig around later although as my property is a former limestone quarry I'm guessing that there will not be much clay around.

SAFETY ALERT - the dangers of digging near buried cables and pipes have been highlighted by Fairygirl - if in doubt check them out prior to digging deep.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,154

Hello Norman, I live in the Peak District and we are surrounded by old limestone quarries. I wonder if you are suffering from lead poisoning. The quarries used to be used for other products, not only limestone. Fluoride is another byproduct, though I don't know the effect of it on plants (nice strong teeth on the leaves maybeimage)

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thank you pansyface - no it wouldn't be either of your suggestions - our quarry was for magnesian limestone which is totally different in composition to your carboniferous limestone - but the point I may not have emphasised enough maybe is that out of a dozen or so original bushes planted in the hedge line it is a single bush in the same place that I have replaced three times.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,154

Well, I give you top marks for persistence in the face of adversity.

How about a nice statue on a plinth in the gap?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • David WDavid W Posts: 84

I would go with soil quality. I assume that as its an old quarry the soil will have been brought in and could well be poor in places.

The house we have moved to recently was built on a brown field site approx. 11 years ago. Most of the 'soil' I am digging is so poor its almost untrue. Where there isn't builders rubbish there is subsoil and clay mixed in. The builders idea of topsoil was adding at most two inches over a lot of the garden then hiding it with turf.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

If you order a statue on a plinth you'll have to hope that someday your plinth will come.

Shall I shut up again?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,672

Yes Steve image

good joke  though ...image

Could it be particularly limey bit of ground? Not sure if that affects the flowering currants - are they lime haters? They grow like weeds up here and it's largely neutral to acid soil.

Just a thought image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I would not be too keen digging near cables!

If the rest of the hedge is ok, why not prune in such a way that the flowering currents on either side grow to fill the space.

You could have another go planting for free by sticking in some hardwood cuttings in the space, they root like weeds