Forum home Talkback

I need a new clematis

I am looking to plant a clematis in the front garden on an old trellis - there's not much soils and I wonder about a large pot for it.  I have only had one summer in the house and in the back garden against an 8 ft wall is a clematis which seems to have been flowering for months, is still in bloom and I wonder what it might b??  Its flowering is quite prolific (I don't know whether to cut it back this autumn or what will happen to it if I don't - I left it last autumn as I'd just moved in?) and has quite a simple purple flower.  Would anybody know which clematis this might be?  Are there any other recommendations for a long-flowering clematis for my front garden trellis?  (I don't want it to become too vigorous like some montanas I have had in the past.  Many thanks in anticipation of helpful comments!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

If you can manage to upload a photo it will really help to identify the purple one.  If it looks like this (Polish Spirit):

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-polish-spirit.html?&cat=252/283&gclid=CJTbnJnHmMECFbHHtAodZgEArQ

That's a Group 3 and you can hack those back as hard as you like and they will come back beautifully (if fact they should be cut down to about a foot high every year in late February.)

In general clematis don't do well in pots.  Having said that, there are a few modern ones which have been bred for doing that - see here:

http://www.raymondevisonclematis.com/main/guidesPatio.asp

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for your message.  No - it's not that one.  I've tried uploading a picture but without success.  It is a small, plain dark purple flower.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,397

if you plant the texensis types, they're cut to the ground in Spring so never get out of hand.

Princess Diana is a beauty and this year I bought Princess Kate which is also lovely.

Devon.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Rose to upload press on the tree at the top of the message box and follow