Forum home Talkback

Talkback: How to plant callicarpa

I have got mine which is quite small in a pot and has got rust coloured leaves now in October, is it hardy enough to stay outside?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

They are very hardy plants

• LizyannLizyann Posts: 35

Thank you fleurisa will just give it a little protection just in case kind regards

• oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
    we have one growing in a border at the side of the path and an off set taken about 4 years ago growing in another border covered in berries and the leaves are just turning,great plants but they do get quite big.
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

I have one in the front garden and one in the back garden. Whitecaps like the berries, they're the only birds I've seen on them so far.

• Hi everyone!

the next shrub on my "i want that shrub" list is a callicarpa, so am pleased this thread came up. 

I believe there is an evergreen variety, but i'm having difficulty in finding it.  Does anybody have one, or is it a warmer climate variety?    I would be happy with the deciduous one as the autumn leaf colours look quite stunning, but I just fancy an evergreen if i could get one.

I would be grateful for any info on this.  Thanks.

Hi Norfolkdumpling if you look at the plant finder in the plants you will see they are deciduous only.hope that helps.
  • Hi oldchippy, i've  always thought that is the case, but have been told it's possible to get an evergreen variety. Not being convinced, that's why i posted this question, as i felt sure i would get the right answer from these knowledgeable people on here.

I'm glad you confirmed this for me as I have just returned from a local independent garden centre where I spent more than intended on an 8' (including the pot) Callicarpa Profusion, but it is such a lovely bushy shrub jam packed with berries that I could not come home without it!!  I hope the state pension goes up in April, then I just might get another one to keep it company. Thanks.

Hi Norfolk dumpling you could try propergating a lower branch to make a new plant,my second one was a sport growing from the base,I'm sure you will look after it and it will return year after year but it will need to be kept under control as they can get quite big,I posted pictures of mine on G/W facebook.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

I put one outside ten years ago into the border.but it was July  .I live in a rural area very open , surrounded by fields.it has been alright.