Forum home Talkback

Advice please - a climber for fence

I have a new fence with big gaps between the planks (this is to let the wind through as the last fence we had was battered to bits). Looking for a climber to go on the fence (don't mind making a lattice). Looking for something low maintenance and easy. Doesn't have to be stunning flowers more foilage is fine. Nothing to heavy (don't want to pull my expensive fence down). A lot of the summer the fence is in full sun.

Looking for something readily available and that I can plant now while i'm on a roll.

I'd appreciate any advice - thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,509

What's the soil like - sandy/loam/clay etc and do you know if it's acid or alkaline?

How big is the area you want it to cover?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Geordie,Jackie, I would go for a mix of colour, we have at one end of a 20 foot fence  a white Clematis Montana ,at the other a red one , they meet in the middle and  a really nice mix, they are stunning in flower and look good in winter,they are very easy to grow ,very quick to spread  ( we planted another on the wall 6 weeks ago and its now 5 feet high and spread 4 feet along the wall )( fed on Comfrey ) and very strong,and we dont bother to prune at all, were putting another  Clematis in that will climb up it as i said its a strong plant, anyway just a thought if you like like reds and whites and hardly any looking after. good luck,image