Forum home Talkback

how can I treat this, please

can somebody please suggest what I can do to treat this? It is only affecting these plants ( don't know plant name) so I will attach photos. I live in Bodrum, Turkey, hot not humid weather conditions.  I water the plant at ground level. I have tried cutting some of the plants back but their growth seems to be stunted with the leaves appearing visibly smaller and not uncurling fully. I have used a funcicide to no effect. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Mary

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607

You need to cut off all the mucky bits, whatever it is it will spread if you dont.

I am only looking at it on my phone but assume its mildew of damp rot.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn, thanks. It is very thick on the plant, more than an inch in some parts. It always starts at the tip. I have used a funcicide and cut back the plant vigorously  to no avail. When the plant is healthy it looks amazing and I assume it must be some form of a tree lily, but I'm a very mature gardener and don't know for sure.  Would mildew or damp rot be possible given our hor climate? 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    Could be hibiscus mealybug.
  • Ceres, thanks. I cant see any insect inside the disease. Could it still be mealybug? If it is what do I need to do? 

• Sorry, I'm an AMATEUR gardener not mature as I wrote in a previous post image 

• Ceres, thanks. I cant see any insect inside the disease. Could it still be mealybug? If it is what do I need to do? 

• Mike, thank you very much I'm goin to try your suggestion. We have 10 of these plants in the gardens, some of which are more than 9 feet tall. It would be a terrible shame if I were to loose them all. Will let you know how it goes. 

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

might not be a fungus (which would explain the fungicide not working) might be woolly aphid?