Forum home Problem solving

Something has eaten the plastic lid of my slug pellets

I have just gone to my garden shed and found that the lid of my slug pellet container has been eaten by something with very small teeth - most probably a mouse. It has made a complete circle all the way round and then a bigger hole to get in. This has happened in the last few weeks since I last used the pellets. There is no sign of droppings or indeed a dead mouse. Has anyone else had this?

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I've had mice seemingly living on a diet of carrier bags and washing up tablets - they seem to be quite hardy! Perhaps if you've no droppings once it got into the container it decided it wasn't all that keen and moved on?

• JaneD8JaneD8 Posts: 13

Thank you Clarington, how strange, but at least I am not alone!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,531

I found a dead rat in my garden a few days ago.  When I went into my garage yesterday, I found that it had gnawed at the bottom of the wooden door to gain entry and then proceeded to chew it's way into a plastic container of rat poison before devouring the lot, including all of the small plastic packets within!

Quite a spectacular own goal really!  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,664

Bob - did it gladden your heart? ... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

The mice under the kitchen sink chewed into an unopened packet of mouse poison, and then died in a spectacularly smelly fashion.image

Thank you very much for all your comments, much appreciated.

Just gone out and found the new lid that I put on yesterday has been eaten in exactly the same way!!! The pellets are the wildlife-friendly ones so presumably not doing the mouse any harm but this is taking the proverbial! Husband is talking about motion-sensor cameras…I am now going to keep my pellets elsewhere!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,531

Good idea Jane!  Metal containers like biscuit/sweet tins should be rodent-proof too, but I wouldn't put it past a determined one..

FG: I wouldn't put it exactly that way but rats are a menace in my garden - stables are only metres away and I think they are the main 'holding tank'.  It's either stop feeding the birds or continue to poison the rats, so any 'Darwin awards' they win themselves are a definite bonus!   I do worry about catching Lyme disease from their ticks, too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thank you all for your contributions to this, lesson learnt!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,584

I sometimes use the wildlife friendly slug pellets, but these days they disappear overnight - far faster than the slugs could get them.  I had put it down to mice (we have lots in the garden, although thankfully very few in the house now) - this makes me think i was right.  Do mice like ferric phosphate ??

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.