Forum home Plants

Please can anyone tell me what this is.

Please can anyone tell me what this is.Please ignore the Bonfire Plant.This just popped up in my garden this year and took over one of my planters.

• Is it oxalis purple shamrock

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,840

The purple leaves belong to an oxalis, probably Oxalis triangularis.

Don't know about the plant with the orange flowers. Is that what you call the Bonfire plant?   I like it.

Don't the purple and the orange look good together image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi yes the do look good together thanks,The orange one I bought at a garden centre this year,on the pot it simply said 'Bonfire Plant' this was supposed to be my centerpeice and then this other plant started growing everwhere.image

• Just done a bit of browsing and found out the Bonfire Plant is a Begonia.image

• Has you may have guessed I am quite new to gardening,I have always had a nice garden but used to be more of the kind of person who just bought plants and put them in the ground for show etc,Now I have retired I am taking a greater interest in my plants and garden,and would like to say how all the people on this site seem to be really nice and helpful.

• Here is a pic of another of my favourite plant in my garden 'Glowing Ember begonia'image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,840

It is a lovely helpful and friendly site isn't it image

That is a gorgeous begonia - I'm recently warming to orange - it must be the time of year.

You see that yellow flowered plant behind the lamp in that last photo - that's another type of oxalis like the purple leaved one - you have the beginning of a collection image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes I really like the autumn colours myself.We have a Virginia creeper which has recently been a beautiful shade of red,thanks for the info on the yellow plant.Yes great site! Bought this Glowing ember in Spring and has been flowering ever since! image