Forum home Wildlife gardening

Baby hedgehog

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

I know a bit difficult to see in picture but earlier on as I was watering my plants on the back terrace I heard what I first thought was a bird, it was quite persistent and as I followed the sound I realised it was a baby hedgehog harassing it's mummy for milk. It was so cute, I watched it suckle and then the poor mummy had obviously had enough and ran off, leaving poor baby squeaking for more. Ever since they have been scurrying across the terrace, mummy very busy, hopefully collecting slugs, I did think my hostas were in good condition, now I know why. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,955

imageimageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    Oh, I'm full of envy! I'd so love to have hedgehogs in the garden.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

They really are gorgeous, so close to the house I couldn't believe it, because we have gravel out there you could hear their every move. Have heard noises before but never realised it was hedgehogs. 

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Wee thingimage I have a soft spot for the young of animals

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Many years ago I lived in an isolated house.  Early hours one dark morning I heard a loud noise at the front door.  Banging and crashing ensued and when I could stand the suspense no longer I crept downstairs and opened the door.  Two hedgehogs fighting ,inspecting or courting! in my small  porch and banging into one or two metal bowls out there.  Mind you I've lived in quite a few isolated houses and heard odd noises but I was really worried about that one for a while. 

• Hi Dorset, that reminds me when I lived alone, one morning there was a right commotion downstairs. A grey squirrel had got through the cat flap and was trying to get out. I just to open all the doors leading to the garden and wait for its frenzy activity to take it out.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136

OH is frequently woken by our hedgehogs snuffling around in the garden and pushing their supper dish around on the terrace image

This seems very late in the year to see hoglets that small.

I don't know how soon temperatures drop where you are DD, but that baby isn't going to be big enough to hibernate in order to survive the winter.  Also a lactating sow is going to struggle to put on the weight she needs to survive hibernation.  A hedgehog's body should be 30% fat at the start of hibernation.

Could you put some supplementary food out each night?  A saucer or shallow bowl of chicken variety catfood, with some chopped unsalted peanuts, mealworms and raisins and also a shallow dish of fresh water could make all the difference to your hedgehogs. 

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/free-autumn-a-z-of-tips.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

I will have a look at the site Dove and see what I can do to help the poor thing. Hopefully we won't get really cold here until December, but this is only what I have been told, we didn't move over until April. 

I have also noticed lambs in the field behind our house which I thought was late for lambs.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136

Some farmers breed lambs at this time of year to produce lamb to eat very early in the spring when the prices are at their highest. 

Some breeds of sheep are better than this than others - there is a breed called the Ile de France which is well-known for being able to produce 3 crops of lambs in 2 years.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100

My cat had her first encounter with a hedgehog last night. She was not sure what to make of it so just sat and stared, luckily she didn't have a go as she would have probably regretted it! It was great to see a hedgehog - the first one this year.

As kids we always called them "hedgepigs" ( still do if I'm honest), not really sure why