Forum home The potting shed

End of the season thoughts

I like this time of year, all your success in the garden is now safely on camera and all your mistakes are in the compost bin. I always find this time of the year is a real leveler, all the neighbourly competitiveness is over and we are back to a blank canvas. I know some people garden all through the year, but I don't see the point,  you work all day. It's dark when you get home, which only leaves the weekend.

My new year starts at the end of February when my seed sowing begins. So there is a few more bulbs to plant and a hedge to cut, then it's feet up catching up with my gardening reading.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..same here...although I reckon I've got another 6 weeks or so yet, before I shut up shop....

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Being pretty much retired, and loving being outside, I will carry on gardening (there's a film title there I thinkimage) until the first snowsimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

My season has just started, bulbs in, cold germinators sown, clearing debris, pruning starting, some tree surgery to comeimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I'll be cutting back the pear tree come the real Autumn. I do envy you Nut, having so much gardening to keep you going through the winterimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Bit too much sometimes artjak, proving hard to get back in shape.

Me and the gardenimage

If you get bored, and think a bit of hacking and slashing or shredding would be good, we have plenty of tools. You needn't bring your ownimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,776

Over the coming weeks and months I'll be revamping some borders, digging over the veg plots, removing some unwanted plants/shrubs/trees to make space for others (inc. a few overgrown agapanthus thugs, montbretia, hazel and a forsythia), planting some new young fruit trees and of course lots of tulips.  Also making a fairly large raised bed area full of ericaceous compost as a new home for all of my potted blueberries (too much effort watering those blummin' pots!)  Lots to do! image 

I much prefer doing the hard work in the cold rather than the heat of summer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

I did a lot here last year, right into autumn/winter as I had bare root hedging to go in, so I'm looking forward to having a slightly quieter autumn/winter  than last year - unless the building work gets started ( image ) but I find it frustrating that the days are shortening and I still have so much I'd like to get done. Trying to make a five year project fit into two years isn't really feasible when you work and have no one else to share the grafting. image

Still, I'm pleased with how much I've got done this year and the garden's also matured a fair bit. 

Now I just have to move all the things from where I don't like them...imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

Summer may be over (it's cold outside tonight) but spring is on the cards. The primulas are just coming through the grass in the wild lawn and every spade's turn reveals another clump of daffodil bulbs. (What law is it that dictates that, given a plot of 30 square metres, your spade will slice though a daffodil bulb rather than plain soil?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,923

I've still got a few hundred bulbs to go in so that'll be at least 2 weekends. I've also got stuff I want to move when they stop flowering, asters, rudbeckias etc.

I've got young plants due next month so I'll have to tinker with them and before you know it it'll be seed sowing time!

I might tidy the shed and the pot mountain too...image